Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

So What Am I Doing Exactly???

After three weeks of post-election doldrums, the winds of purpose and direction have returned to fill my sails once more (and with such vigor!). The tides are with me; the weather is fine indeed -- I must set sail without a moment's hesitation lest I lose my opportunity. Through a strange and delightful (albeit suspenseful) turn of events, I was granted a spot on The Extra Mile Adventure (TEMA) not but a few hours ago. For the next two months, I will be a part of an artistic and humanitarian Odyssey throughout Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador. Everywhere we go, our bio-diesel bus will be stopping at communities all along the way. We will be donating our labor, our creativity, and our zest for life everywhere we go, as well as collaborating on art projects the entire way. I'll be bringing a bicycle on the trip (they said it would be fine so long as I can somehow lash it to the exterior of the bus), so hopefully I can tour some of these countries by bike while building fitness for next year. This will be awesome!


The Extra Mile Adventure from Nicholas Weissman on Vimeo.

But I need help.

While most of the trip is paid for, I am expected to make a small financial contribution. They want me to summon far less than two months worth of travel, lodging, food, and fun would cost me, but large chunk of money nonetheless. Keep in mind, I just spent the last two months working for free; think of this as your last chance to donate to the Obama campaign. I'm not quite prepared for this trip either -- I need a new sleeping bag (mine was completely ruined by the playa dust at Burning Man). Lastly, I'm responsible for travel to and from San Francisco (the bus's departure location), so I've got to buy myself a plane ticket. I've never asked for money here on Glider Bison before, but there's a first time for everything isn't there? I've set up a "donate" button to my paypal account over on the right side; it's fast, it's secure, and it's easy (you can use any major credit card, and you don't need a paypal account).

If you want your Glider Bison blog posts to include pictures of me restoring sea turtle habitat outside Oaxaca, stories of riding my bike through the highlands of Guatemala, or links to the impressive TEMA website (which will be updated by all of us regularly) then by all means, donate now! Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! Tell everyone!

If anyone has questions or concerns about donating, please e-mail me at glider.bison@gmail.com. Otherwise, just stay tuned -- cuz this shit is about to get CRAZY!

Thanks.

No comments: