Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Enduring Love...

Breakfast cereal, I've loved you for as long as I remember.
and that love has grown with each passing day --
grown to the incomprehensible infinity of affection that I now feel
Breakfast cereal, you lift me up and made my heart soar.
you are the nourishment of my soul, and my body
you have kept me alive for weeks on end
literally.

Breakfast cereal, I shall never be full of you.
even if my belly is stretched like a drum around tabbouleh and falafel
even if my belly is stretched like a drum around a turkey ruben
even if my belly is stretched like a drum around other goddam cereal
there is always room for more of you

Breakfast cereal, you've never diminished.
in my heart. Even for that month when I preferred granola.


This poem was written by a full grown man.

No comments: