Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oh Where Oh Where Have My Powerfiles Gone...

Well I'm back safe and sound in Seattle. I've once again invaded the home of my team manager, and here I shall stay until my next round of races (which, for those who haven't been following along at home, are updated in the "upcoming races" list on the right).

I can't say I'm thrilled with home my first two NRC races went -- I clearly showed that I have the strength to do well, but not necessarily the wisdom, judgment or patience. I was feeling pretty discouraged after Mt. Hood, but returning to the familiar and supportive Seattle surroundings have helped me restoke the fires of motivation. I'm actually excited to do some quality training -- I haven't used my power meter since before Walla Walla (that's well over a month, for those not following along at home). I can't tell whether I like it or resent it that I am racing bicycles in the age of power meters. It will be interesting to see what has happened to my wattage -- am I objectively stronger or weaker than before? I guess it's nice to have the concrete data, but I sort of long for a simpler time -- before heart rate monitors, before periodized training plans -- heck -- before training was scientific at all. I wish I were riding back when superstition and tradition govorned training practices. I want to roll out of bed, eat a breakfast of well-done steak (the high carbon content helps thins the blood) and black coffee (adding cream will get you dropped for sure), warm up by doing jumping jacks and smoking cigarettes (they open the lungs you know), and when shit hit the fan in the race I'd just catch a train to the next town and get back in the race. Those guys had it much better than we do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looks like i've got my new training plan.