Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Don't DO That!!!

I got a whopping 4 hours of sleep last night, thanks to my decision to indulge in a post race Coca Cola. I'm not opposed to caffeine consumption by any means -- quite the contrary, I drink coffee in the morning like it's the highlight of my day (which it often is) -- but when I'm caffeinated close to bed time, I can't sleep at all. In my case, my race ended at 7:30 PM. I was tired. It was hot. Nothing -- I repeat nothing -- looked more satisfying than the ice cold Coke Adrian was slugging down. When he told me he'd packed one for each of us I nearly cried for joy. The ice-cold, sugary, carbonated elixir slid down my throat, and within moments, I felt better. Simple sugars, while not a good fuel for endurance sports, are especially good at getting energy to a tired Sam in a hurry. I didn't think much of it until I tried to go to bed a few hours later. Was it worth it? No. Will I do that again? Unfortunately, the answer is most likely yes. The reason? After a hard race, my capacity to perform rational cost/benefit analysis of drinking a can of Coke is about the same as my capacity to build a time machine out of washing machine parts.

In other news, I got gapped off on the final lap (of 6) finishing circuits that preceded the finish of Thursday's road race. I lost 30 seconds, which was rather disappointing.

I don't know how I did in the today's TT, but I don't think I completely sucked. Tonight is a crit that starts at 7:45 PM. Adrian had better not pack a coke for each of us.

No comments: