Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

THE CLAW STRIKES AGAIN!

Boy these weeks sure have been flying by. I just finished the Mutual of Enumclaw Stage Race. As some of you may recall, I've done this race in the past, and while I didn't encounter any demonic donkeys, demonic cows, or even demonic sheep, I still had a good time.

I placed third in the time trial (same as last year). I love this race because they've used the same time trial course since 1997, and they've posted all the results on their website. It's fun to look back through the years and see who the heavy-hitters of yesteryear were. It's also neat to see riders improving over time; in 2000 Svein Tuft threw down a 13:31 (good enough for fourth). In 2007 he did a 12:25 (the current course record). My what seven years of riding a bike will get you.

The criterium was rainy (as usual), and filled with crashed (as usual). Why people skip Wenatchee to race at Enumclaw is beyond me. I made it through alive -- that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

The road race was an odd duck. I got up the road early in the race with four other guys, all of whom were interested in working. At one point we had a five-minute lead on the field, making me the leader on the road. We worked smoothly until the final climb when things started to splinter up a bit. I shelled all but one of my breakaway-mates and finished second on the stage, but first in GC. This is my first real stage race victory ever, so that's pretty cool.

To celebrate, I went on a recovery ride today. Actually it had nothing to do with celebration; it's what I would have done anyway -- but it was still a sweet recovery ride. The rain and cold of the weekend has given way to a beautiful day here in Seattle. Here's a slice:


Morgan in Magnolia



Alan and Morgan


Elliot Bay


It's (still) in the P.I. 



Post Alley



Cobbles


Pikes Place Market


PIROSHKY PIROSHKY!!!






Yum



Cobbles up to Queen Anne


Flat tire. 


Culprit: 


Bike

3 comments:

Jamie Sparling said...

good riding this weekend bro. your whole squad was lookin solid!

Gliderbison said...

Thanks Jamie. I was just trying to soften you guys up a little so my other guys could get up the road later in the race. I was as surprised as anyone when we got five minutes up the road. I'll take it though! See you at Hood -- let's stick it to those big boys, eh?

sixtothe20 said...

You so fast! You so strong! You so smart racer! Krogg make girl swoon!