Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

DeVotchka Rockska!

Holy hot poop did DeVotchka deliver a killer concert last night! I've never seen this band perform live before, and wow are they entertaining. Apparently this band is from Denver, although from the way they sound, you'd think they came from the other side of the world. The drummer also plays the trumpet, the bassist also plays a Christmas-light covered tuba, the keyboardist is also a virtuoso on the violin and the accordion, and the singer plays with theremin with his guitar (I know it sounds crazy, but it works). Their sound is so rich, and layered it's almost orchestral -- I couldn't believe there's only four of them. I was expecting a much grander production a la Arcade Fire. 

Note: Christmas-light covered tuba
DeVotchka, I salute you. Thanks for the concert. Here's a lovely example:

No comments: